Governor DeWine Announces Available Cares Act Funds for Home Relief Grants 

Home Relief Grants are designed to “help eligible Ohioans who are behind on rent, mortgage, and water and/or sewer utility bills catch up on past payments back to April 1, 2020, and provide additional assistance through December 30, 2020.”

  • Applications open November 2nd via your local Community Action Agency (see the adjacent list by county)
  • Households with an annual income at or below 200% of the federal poverty guidelines will be eligible for assistance
  • Amounts to $50 million across the state

    Ohio households with an annual income at or below 200% of the federal poverty guidelines will be eligible for assistance. Here is the annual income by household size.

    Size of Household Total Household Income 12 Months
    1 up to $25,520
    2 up to $34,480
    3 up to $43,440
    4 up to $52,400
    5 up to $61,360
    6 up to $70,320
    7 up to $79,280
    8 up to $88,240

    Ohioans will be able to apply for assistance through their local Community Action Agency.

    When applying for assistance, Ohioans will need to provide the following information:

    • Names of all household members
    • Date of Birth
    • Social Security Number
    • Current or Previous address
    • Copies of Social Security cards, or verification for each household member
    • Proof of income for all household members 18 years or older for a minimum of the past 30 days
      • For seasonal or self-employed individuals, please provide proof of income for 12 months
    • Any supporting documentation to demonstrate need
    • Hardship due to the COVID-19 pandemic

    Individuals that are currently unemployed will only need to provide 30 days of income for verification purposes.  Additionally, any federal unemployment stipend is excluded from determining a household’s benefit.

    To receive Rental Assistance, individuals will also need to provide:

    • Eviction or past due rent notice. Notice should include total amount due (including fees)
    • If moving to a new location, justification for the move (i.e. currently homeless, living with another family and not sufficient space, etc.)
    • Landlord contact information and lease agreement

    To receive Mortgage Assistance, individuals will also need to provide:

    • Notice of late mortgage payment (including taxes and insurance)

    To receive Utility Assistance, individuals will also need to provide:

    • Copy of utility bill demonstrating the account has been shut off, is in disconnect status, or is past due


Community Action Agencies


Council for Economic Opportunities in Greater Cleveland
1801 Superior Avenue, 4th floor
Cleveland, Ohio 44114
(216) 696-9077


Geauga Community Action, Inc.
470 Center St. Bldg #5, D
P.O. Box 309
Chardon, Ohio 44024
(440) 286-4765


Lifeline for the Empowerment and Development of Consumers, Inc.
One Victoria Place, Suite 265A
Painesville, Ohio 44077
(440) 354-2148 


Service Area: Lorain County
Lorain County Community Action Agency
936 Broadway
Lorain, Ohio 44052
(440) 425-2009


Community Action-Wayne/Medina
905 Pittsburgh Avenue
Wooster, Ohio 44691
(330) 264-8677